4 dead, 44 wounded in South Sudan grenade attack

At least 4 people were killed and 44 others injured following the detonation of a hand grenade by a veteran in Tharkueng market in Jur River County in Western Bahr el Ghazal State on Sunday.

Two people, a woman identified as Adeng and a policeman called Arop Madut, died on the spot while two others succumbed to their injuries at Wau Teaching Hospital on Monday morning.  

Nyawan Deng, a woman who was injured in the incident, said a veteran identified as Agiu Akot Agiu detonated the device in public after a prolonged argument with a person who owed him money.

“Agiu came to the market and started asking someone who was taking tea for money but that person told him to wait for him to finish his tea,” she said. “Agiu who was wearing a military uniform got upset and removed and detonated a grenade which killed people.”

Another eyewitness, Issac Makuac Lueth, said Agiu was owed money by one Garang Deng Achuil and wanted his money back.

“What happened yesterday (Sunday) at 5 pm in Tharkueng was that there was a wounded hero called Agiu Akot and he was demanding money from Garang Deng who told him he did not have the money,” he explained. “Agiu insisted that he wanted the money immediately. Garang was not aware that Agiu was ready to fight. While Garang was leaving, Agiu removed the grenade from his pocket and detonated it in public.”

“When the grenade exploded, two people died on the spot and that man who detonated it was also wounded and attempted to run away but was arrested,” Makuac added.
Meanwhile, Barnado Anyar Chaman, who was in the market when the incident happened, said Agiu was intoxicated. 

“He was drunk. As you know, Tharkueng is at the border of Warrap and Western Bahr el Ghazal, and the people of Warrap have established orders banning alcohol from their market in Nyinlet and people now go to drink in Tharkueng,” he said. “He (Agiu) is a former SPLA fighter and was arrested yesterday. He tried to run away and jumped into the river but was arrested and taken to Kuajok.”

When contacted, the Wau Teaching Hospital director general, Dr. Thon Mangok, confirmed that the hospital received 46 patients and that 5 children are in critical condition.

“Yesterday we received 46 patients after the grenade attack but four of them passed away,” he said. “Five of them are children. That is a total, there are serious and minor injuries.”

Sourcee: Radio Tamzuj.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here