Police in South Sudan are investigating the kidnap and murder of two Ugandan drivers along the Nimule-Juba Road, according to the country’s police publicist, Mr Daniel Justin.
Mr Justin said yesterday (Wednesday) that three Ugandan drivers were waylaid and abducted last week before two were later found killed at Nesitu as the third escaped.
Talking to Radio Tamazuj, Mr Justin said police in Juba have started investigating the matter so that the culprits can be brought to book.
“It is true that three Ugandan drivers were ambushed and kidnapped. They were then ordered to make contact with their bosses to ask for ransom money. Money was sent but the kidnappers said the money was little. In the end, two of the victims were killed. One escaped and came and described the incident and the kidnappers and we are now following up on the case,” Mr Justin said.
The police spokesperson said that the incident happened near Juba.
“We are trying to work with the surviving victim, to collect information so that we can track down these criminals”, he continued.
The survivor, who has been identified as Mr Andrew Asiimwe, told the press that the murderers used hammers to hit his two colleagues until they died.
Mr Asiimwe said the duo met their death after the ransom money sent was short of what the killers demanded, according to the Daily Monitor.
Mr Asiimwe was kidnapped with three other Ugandan truck operators, including Kamaadi Mayende and Ahmed Ssebagala.
These were driving to the South Sudan capital, Juba, on September 27 at about 7pm. However, one of the drivers escaped during the ambush.