An unidentified man in Masindi was on Monday morning intercepted transporting a dead cow that had been bitten by a poisonous snake to be sold to roasted meat vendors at Kafu stage along the Kampala-Gulu Highway.
The man was intercepted by the Masindi Resident District Commissioner (RDC), Mr Emmy Ngabirano, who was on his way to Pakanyi sub-county for routine monitoring of government projects.
On interrogation, the man told the RDC that he was taking the carcass to the road side vendors so they could buy, roast and sell the meat to highway travellers who make stopovers at Kafu stage.
Mr Ngabirano ordered the man to take back the carcass, warning him against the act.
Dr Charles Lagedo attached to Masindi General Hospital, warns that eating half cooked meat of an animal killed by a poisonous snake bite is dangerous to human life.
He advises that once eaten, one should immediately seek medical treatment to counter the effects of the venom that can turn out to be irreversible once neglected.
“The meat of an animal killed by snake venom must be properly cooked as it is always a health danger to human beings. Most road side meat sellers don’t serve properly roasted meat. This is risky to human life. Such meat causes different illnesses in blood cells,” he says.