UNEB withholds 1,292 UCE results over malpractice

Uganda National Examination Board Executive Secretary, Dan Odongo.

A total of 1,292 results for candidates who wrote the 2020 Uganda Certificate of Education (UCE) have today (Friday) been withheld, the Uganda National Examinations Board (UNEB) has said.

Releasing the results at State House, Nakasero, UNEB Executive Secretary, Dan Odongo, said the results were withheld due to examination malpractice.

“A total of 1,292 results will be withheld in accordance with Section 5 (2) (b) of the UNEB Act No1 2021,” Mr Odongo revealed.

However, he said the affected students will be given a fair hearing adding that examination centres whose results have been withheld will be notified through their portals.

Mr Odongo said Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics have been most affected in the malpractice with external assistance, collusion among candidates, impersonation and scrip substitution as the common cases.

In last year’s examinations, 330,592 sat for the examinations with 165,251 being males and 165,341 being females compared to 336,60 candidates who appeared for the examinations in 2019 translating into a decrease of 2,468 (-0.7%) candidates.

“The number of females who sat was more than that of males by 90 candidates,” Mr Odongo said.

In these exams, male candidates have outperformed female candidates.

However, female candidates performed better than their counterparts in English language only, Mr Odongo said adding that in other large entry subjects, male candidates showed better performance with differences more marked in Mathematics and Sciences.

14.3 per cent of males passed in division one compared to 9.9 per cent females.

Equally, 22.9 per cent male candidates passed in second division compared to 19.4 per cent female candidates.

At least 4.9 per cent males failed completely compared to 6.3 per cent females.

Education and Sports Minister, Janet Museveni, releases UCE exam results Friday, July 30, 2021.

Gov’t to open 94 new secondary schools

Releasing the examinations, Education Minister, Ms Janet Museveni said government has finalised plans to open 94 new secondary schools in sub-counties across the country.

The minister said she was concerned that 4,324 few candidates registered for last year’s UCE exams compared to 2019 adding that the UNEB technical team and the ministry attributed to circumstances related to Covid-19.

Ms Museveni said it is against this backdrop that there is need for new secondary schools to try and cover up the gap.

“The NRM government is taking great strides in bringing an affordable and accessible public secondary school to each sub-county that has none. By God’s grace, once the lockdown measures have been eased, my ministry shall be ready to commission at least 95 brand new fully government owned and complete secondary schools,” she said.

The minister said each of the schools is already staffed with 31 teaching staff including the head teacher.

“The new secondary schools fondly referred to as SEED Schools, are non-boarding schools with a capacity for 400 students for both boys and girls,” Ms Museveni continued.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here