All higher institutions of learning have been told not to re-open for the resumption of school programmes for continuing students until an official statement is released.
The Executive Director of the National Council for Higher Education (NCHE), Prof Mary Okwakol, says in a letter dated January 22, this year that all Vice Chancellors of higher education institutions have to halt their plans of re-opening for first year and continuing students.
In March last year, President Yoweri Museveni closed all schools and high institutions of as one of the avenues of slowing down the transmission of Covid-19.
Although these were later re-opened for finalists at all levels, continuing students continue to sit at home with no clear information on when they will resume.
“As you are well aware, the directives to reopen high education institutions for finalists on health related programmes, and subsequently for all finalists were given by the President of the Republic of Uganda. Accordingly, we await a decision of Government on the way forward regarding re-opening for non finalist classes,” reads the letter in part.
Prof Okwakol urged all institutions not to re-open until a decision of government on the matter is communicated.
Makerere University had already issued plans to re-open, with its freshers asked to report on January 30th, 2021.
Following the NCHE notice, the university said in a separate letter that their programme was only tentative as they continue to wait for government decision.
However, Makerere University noted that they are ready to open safely for all students.