Police officer commits suicide in Masindi

A police vehicle carries deceased police officer, Sam Okarebo's body to Masindi General Hospital for postmortem yesterday (Tuesday), August 11, 2021. (Photo: Moses Andama)

A 50-year-old police officer who has been undergoing a refresher course at Kabalye Police Training School in Karujubu Division, Masindi Municipality, has committed suicide, reports Kazi-njema News reporter, Moses Andama.

The acting Masindi District Police Commander, Edina Nyinareza, identifies the deceased as Sam Okarebo.

Okarebo hanged himself on a tree near St Jude Catholic Church Kihuuba in Karujubu Division yesterday (Tuesday) afternoon.

His lifeless body was first seen by a boy grazing cattle before informing the residents who in turn informed the authorities at Kabalye police training school.

Ms Nyinareza told journalists at the scene that she received a call from the school commandant about Okarebo’s demise at around 4pm forcing her to rush to the scene where she found the deceased’s body still dangling on the tree with a rope around the neck.

Without divulging much, the police officer said investigations to establish the cause of act were underway.

Mr Wilson Tumwesige, the Kihuuba A Cell Chairman in Karujubu Division, Masindi Municipality, talks to the press about the police officer’s suicide act. (Photo: Moses Andama)

The Kihuuba A Cell Chairman, Mr Wilson Tumwesige, said that earlier, he received a letter from the school commandant informing him that 350 police personnel including the deceased were to pitch camp at Kihuuba primary school only to hear that Okarebo had committed suicide.

Sources in the area said that after the camp, the police officers were sent back to clean the place. However, Okarebo left his colleagues there, went and committed suicide.

The deceased was one of the police officers from across the country who had completed 14 days mandatory Covid-19 isolation period.

These had reported to the police training school on Monday.

By publication time, the body had been taken to Masindi General Hospital for postmortem.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here